Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ethiopia Korate Wet Process

I have posted on this coffee before. At the time, I wasn't happy with the roast. This time around I decided to keep it very light. As you'll see in the profile this time around, the overall roast time was several minutes shorter than the last time I roasted it. It had a huge effect.



This roast came out awesome. Super flowery aromas, great acidity and sweetness. Extremely clean cup with tons of complexity. I am usually pretty good about identifying individual flavors, but this one is hard to explain. It is a coffee to linger over and explore as the cup cools. Just delicious.

This is definitely a difficult coffee to get right. It needs a very light roast or it comes across as dull-tasting. There is a narrow needle to thread, but if you nail it, it is well worth it.

____________________________________________________
Addendum 1/23/09

I roasted this coffee again, and had the best results to date. This time around, I used a slightly different profile, lingering at a lower intermediate temperature. It was perfect - all candy - Lemonheads, Jolly Ranchers, etc. Sweet, acidy, not a trace of graininess/grassiness. Just a great cup.

No comments: