Monday, October 6, 2008

Kenya AA Lot#758 Hiriga

I haven't roasted any coffees from Kenya lately, so it was time to dig deep in the stash. This coffee is from the Nyeri region of Kenya, home to some deeply-fruited and intense coffees. I strayed from the profile I have been using lately, adding a couple of minutes of higher temperature before first crack, and then lowering to finish the roast:

With Kenyas, I really like to have a vacuum pot within 12 hours or so of roasting, unlike many other coffees that benefit from rest. The aromas are second to none early after the roast, and I hate to miss that. This coffee didn't disappoint in that respect, with deep cardamom scents. That first cup was effervescent and acidy without being sour. There is deep black currant and other fruit notes, and the body is pure silk.

Interestingly, drinking the same coffee a couple of days later in the Technivorm brewer, it is tasting kind of dull. I am not sure if this is due to the modified roast profile, or perhaps the natural evolution of the coffee after roasting. I'll continue to enjoy it throughout the week and see where it goes.

No comments: