Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kenya Gethumbwini Peaberry

I have talked about this coffee before. This particular batch is from a different crop, the so-called "fly crop". Don't ask me why it is called that, but it is essentially a smaller, later crop than the main one.

This profile was a bit different than last time. I took it slow this time around:


I am not sure whether it is this new crop or the profile, but the coffee isn't as exciting this time around. If I had to guess, it is the coffee itself since I have used this profile before with the same coffee.

This is a bit tricky to roast. The seeds are tiny little ball bearings, and there is nary a crack to be heard. You have to work from sight and smell to detect first crack, and there is a bit of guesswork involved. The aromas while roasting are second to none, though.

The tastes are as before - strong acidity, blackberry, and an herbal quality. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't bad coffee by any stretch of the imagination, but it didn't jump out of the cup the same way it had before. I have some more of this, so I'll be interested to roast it again and see what happens.

No comments: