Monday, October 13, 2008

Mexico La Joya Chiapas 100% Bourbon

This is a coffee I roasted for my wife's PTA meeting later this week. I try and keep around a stock of coffee that tastes like, well... coffee. I figure not everyone wants their coffee to taste like fruit, wine, etc. I picked up a few pounds of this last year, and I really need to start using it up.

I have roasted this coffee a lot in the past, and like most bourbon varietal coffees, it takes color beautifully. However, the lighter roasts I have done with it haven't been appealing, being sour and characterless for the most part. Interestingly, a few months ago I gave away some of this, roasted into second crack, for a friend to use as espresso. Unfortunately I didn't taste it before I gave it away, because it got rave reviews. Apparently some nice orange tastes came into play.

This time around I decided to take it to a Full City roast:


I think I am getting to the point where I can tell a Chiapas coffee from its aroma. There is crumbled earth and a mild fruitiness that blends in perfectly. It reminds me of the soil of Mexico, fertile and rich. The taste is traditional coffee; nothing too unusual. There is that gentle fruitiness; nothing too intense, but something keep your interest as you finish the cup. The roast notes were perfectly blended as well, with some bittersweet notes going on. Overall a nice coffee; nothing to make me want to buy more, but a real crowd pleaser.

No comments: