Friday, October 3, 2008

Costa Rica El Puente "Caturra Miel"

"Miel" means honey in Spanish, and also refers to a coffee preparation method. Also sometimes called "pulp natural", or "semi-washed", it refers to removing the skin of the ripe coffee cherry and then leaving the fruity mucilage layer in contact with the seeds for some time before eventually removing everything down to the bare seed. These coffees have some additional sweetness, lowered acidity, and some fruity character compared to a fully washed coffees. It is not as intense as a fully dry-processed coffee, but somewhere in between.

I have had a few miel coffees from Central America that I have liked very much, which is why I purchased this coffee. Unfortunately, this one got somewhat mixed reviews.

First of all the profile:


Interestingly, I had less volume of finished coffee than I usually have. I am not sure if that is due to the coffee variety or something I did.

Tasting this coffee in a vacuum pot the day after roasting, I found it on the weird side. There was tannic nut skins and soy sauce going on. Medium bodied and sweet, with Brazil nuts and a strong lemondade brightness. It was somewhat disjointed, and that salty soy character really bothered me.

Later in the week after roasting, it came together better. There was less soy and more integrated chocolate and nut tones, with lower acidity and a strong sweetness. I definitely enjoyed it more than that first cup, but this is not a coffee I would buy more of. It might be interesting roasted darker and used for espresso extraction.

No comments: