Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ethiopia Korate Wet Process

I was so excited to get this coffee, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I love wet processed coffees from Ethiopia. They are a great change of pace from the rustic dry processed coffees. Coffees from the Yrgacheffe area, etc. have a prickly acidity about them, as well as piercing citrus notes and floral aromas that make them almost tea-like at times. Second, this is the exact same coffee as the dry processed version I spoke about last month. Being able to do a comparison where only the coffee's processing has changes is fascinating.

High off my roasting success of the superstar Panama Esmerelda coffee, I used the same exact profile:


Alas, sometimes such high expectations get dashed. I was somewhat disappointed with the way this came out. Despite the same profile and the exact same time between first crack and end of roast, I think I brought this coffee a few degrees too high. The silverskin/chaff on these beans really holds on, and it made looking at the roast color difficult. The aroma was promising, but I found the taste somewhat muted. There was peaches-in-syrup tastes, some Jolly Rancher candy notes, but the acidity I expected wasn't there to back it up. Some bittersweet roast character crept in to spoil the fun. I'll have to roast more of this to see if I can hit the sweet spot a bit better.

No comments: