Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Yemen Mokha Mattari

Recently Tom of Sweet Marias went off to Yemen to scope out some new sources of coffee. You can read all about it at his "coffee Hajj" through the website. The claim is that he found three unique Yemen coffees that were supposed to turn your pre-conceived notions of Yemeni brew on their head.

According to Tom, the Mattari is the best cup for brewed coffee, with the others better as espresso. I only had a pound of this coffee, so I decided to break it into thirds to try out a few different roasts. In hindsight, I wouldn't do this again, but would rather have more coffee roasted.

This coffee got my latest and greatest profile I have been using, but I had a bit of a setback during the roast. The room where I roast is quite dark, and it is hard to tell the actual roast color as things are progressing. Therefore I use a little maglite to peer into the drum. Unfortunately the bulb died right at the end and I was flying blind. My 2 year old was around as well, so I couldn't leave him with the roaster running, so I decided to go by smell alone.

Interestingly, this coffee turned out fantastic. I don't think I have ever had anything just like it. There was earthy milk chocoloate, but no dirt or other funky notes that you can sometimes get from this origin. It was crystal clean. I can best describe it as chocolate-covered grapefruit. It was complex, yet light, and dare I say....haunting. A really amazing coffee that I am interested to try as an espresso roast at a later time.

No comments: