Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ethiopia Dry Process Special Selection

This is the second time I have roasted this coffee. This is a naturally fruity coffee with some nice chocolate notes. This time around I wanted to see if I could keep this real sparkly and bright. I tried a lower initial temperature to dry things out a bit without generating any caramelization, and then cranked the heat to max until first crack, hoping to preserve acidity. After that I lowered to my usual temperature until the end.

This came out more or less as I intended. Very bright with pungent tropical fruit aromas. Sticking your nose in the jar was like getting blasted with tamarind. The body was a bit on the thin side, which isn't surprising. In the end, I preferred the original roast (360 degrees for 5 minutes followed by 460 degrees to the end), which actually was the same total roast time, but developed more body and chocolate.


No comments: