Monday, May 19, 2008

Sulawesi Grade One Toraja

I have to confess that I generally dislike Indonesian coffees, especially from Sulawesi. Most of them taste like moss and dirt to me, and the harsh roast treatment one needs to burn off some of the funk goes against my preference for lightly roasted coffee. Anyway. this is a coffee from last year that got thrown free into an order I had placed. In the past with other Indonesians (Sumatra, etc.), I have roasted them to preserve some acidity and sparkle, since these are naturally low-acid, brooding coffees. This time around I decided to really draw out the roast to emphasize the funky notes; it went a full 20 minutes before I ended it, which is very unusual. I haven't tried it yet, so Wednesday we'll have to see if it is a thick, syrupy, interesting Sulawesi, or a failed attempt to roast a coffee I am ambivalent about. Either way, it should be preferable to Dunkin Doughnuts.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Addendum 5/21/08

Well, this one didn't turn out too well. It tasted baked and lifeless to me. This batch was actually roasted in a different room than usual and I had some circuit problems. The temperatures weren't what they should have been, and things really dragged along in the roast. Subsequent batches roasted in my usual room (on the tile floor in my morning room) have been back to usual. Time to call an electrician, I suppose.

No comments: