Friday, May 30, 2008

The Stash

I seem to have accumulated a lot of coffee over the past few years. Interestingly, I am more or less the only coffee drinker in the house. My wife will drink half a cup (literally) in the morning sometimes, and she likes her cappucinos, but for the most part it is just me.

So, why on earth do I have more than 40 pounds of green coffee in my house? My shelves are groaning under their weight. I can justify it in a number of ways:

1. I am saving on shipping by buying in bulk
2. I like variety
3. I am a mental case.

More than likely, #3 is the driving force, but so be it. From what I can tell from perusing other coffee sites, other people have it worse. Actually, over time, I have whittled the stash down quite a bit.

It is interesting to look at what origins make up this stash. A pie chart tells the tale, as above. I found it a bit surprising, though, since I am such a fan of African coffees. The majority is actually from Central and South America. Go figure.

Being the analytical type, I also keep a spreadsheet of what I have around, and what I think of it. Google Docs is a bit flaky, but I converted the current version to html here. Take a look. You'll have to play around a bit and convert my ratings to your sensibilities, but perhaps someone can get something useful out of it.

No comments: