Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ethiopia Yrgacheffe Kochere District

Funny, but back in the day I couldn't abide bright coffees like this one, and many Kenyas. The concept of acidity in coffee can be a tough one to appreciate, since if not done carefully it can come across as sourness. If you have ever had a really bad, sour, brutish truck stop coffee you'll know what I mean. Pulling off a City roast that is bright but retains sweetness is one of the hardest things to learn how to do. Of course, once you pull it off you have to convince yourself that you like that style. I happen to like it very much, but not everyone will like coffee that tastes a bit like lemonade, as this one does.

My intent with the profile was to "sneak up" on first and give time for flavors to develop, as well as to ensure that the roast didn't get away from me after first crack. If you apply too much heat, things can go very quickly and you will either have more roast than you targeted for, or you have to end the roast quickly without enough flavor development. This one turned out pretty well.

I actually roasted this as part of an espresso blending experiment, but I set aside a small amount for brewed coffee this morning. This was a City roast, and was very intense. The floral aromas were very strong (hibiscus flowers?), and the taste was reminiscent of lemonade. As the cup cooled, there were milk chocolate notes in the background. Very nice, and more intense than the last time I roasted this.

No comments: