Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tanzania Songea Flatbean


I lurve me some Tanzania coffees. The funny thing is that what most people associate with Tanzania- the peaberry, is generally some mediocre coffee. In fact, I think I read somewhere that Tanzanian coffee trees are no more likely to create peaberries than other areas, but this is more or less a marketing gimmick. Go figure

This particular lot is from Tom at Sweet Marias, and is just delicious. There is something about these coffees that strikes a great balance between some of the East African gaminess and the more balanced coffees from elsewhere in the world.

This coffee wound up in my stash somewhat by accident. I had actually ordered another Tanzanian coffee, the Ngorongoro convent from Sweet Marias, but they sent me this one accidentally. Good luck indeed, since this is tasty stuff. It has great dutch cocoa flavors with a bit of orange rind. This is medium bodies coffee that you can drink all day and be happy. This roast was my standard affair from a few months ago, and provides a very nice City+ roast level to preserve the terroir of Tanzania.


No comments: