Monday, September 15, 2008

Costa Rica Vino de Arabia

I am still not sure that I am barking up the right tree on the latest set of experiments. I have roasted a few more coffees with similar profiles to the last (starting the roast out much slower); the results have been good, but something has been nagging at me.

Last Friday I roasted some Costa Rica Vino de Arabia. I followed a similar profile to the Tanzania Blackburn Estate, thoroughly drying the beans early, keeping the temperature low until the coffee turns yellow, and then ramping to the final temperature:



This coffee is layered, layered, layered. A very interesting beast. It has the typical Costa Rica chocolate, nuts, etc. At the same time there is a deep fruitiness, reminiscent of red wine and ripe plums, that comes in and out as the cup cools. Quite complex, but perhaps a bit too complex for my taste.

A few days out and I am getting a bit of sourness in this roast which is unexpected. Either I have been under-roasting a bit (I got something similar in a roast of Ethiopia Biloya I did a few days ago), or if this profile is flawed. My gut tells me something is up with this profile.

Interestingly, when I look back at my notes from the past several months, I am finding two basic profiles, both with roughly the same starting and ending points. The difference is the middle section of the roast at intermediate temperature. Origially, I was placing this closer to the finish temperature of the coffee, 440-450 degrees. The more recent profiles have dwelled at the 400 degree range. There is clearly a difference, and one that would benefit from some blind tasting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Scotto, I rosted Vino de Arabia Brumas del Zurqui into 218 degree recently. I found it has smoky-chocolate taste. Is it common or I got something wrong in roasting.
My e-mail:
ilovecat-yes@hotmail.com
Thank you in advance!!!

Scotto said...

Anonymous,

If that is the temperature of the actual bean mass, it would be a reasonable roast level for this coffee (on the lighter side). It is not all that unusual to get smoky notes on Costa Rica coffees. As for "wrong" in roasting, if you like the results, who cares?

Good luck,

Scotto