Monday, July 21, 2008

Uganda Bugisu AA

OK, I am going to say a country name and you tell me what springs to mind. Ready?...... Uganda.

Come on, admit it. You are thinking Idi Amin, despotism, torture, and other unpleasant things. Well, believe it or not, Uganda also exports coffee. And an interesting beast it is, too. Other coffees from Africa are of the citric variety; very acidic, refreshing drinks. Kenya is the archetypal example of that style. This is the first time I have tried a coffee from Uganda, and I was intrigued to find out what it is all about. Word on the street was that this is a low-acid, funky coffee more in the vein of something from Indonesia.

I decided to roast this one to Full City, darker than I would normally start:

I slowed this one down to develop the body and more brooding notes.

The roasted bean fragrance was unexpected. There is a very fruity aspect to it, perhaps papaya of all things. In the cup, it is low-acid, rustic and earthy. At the same time there are subtle fruity notes buried in there which make it very interesting. The papaya hangs around, creating an interesting impression.

It will be interesting to try this one over the next few days to see how it develops, but so far I am enjoying it. It is deliciously different compared to what I have been drinking lately.

______________________________
Note: New addition posted to the Rogues Gallery

No comments: