Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mexico Organic Chiapas

I often call Mexican coffees my "palate resets". After drinking lots of over the top Kenyas, Ethiopias, dry processed fruit-bombs, etc. it is nice to drink some unassuming beverages that taste like "coffee"; nothing too complicated, just a cup you can enjoy with the morning paper and not spend time analyzing flavor components. If I had a cafe, something like this Chiapas would be my house coffee. It is complex enough to intrigue the hard-core coffee drinker, yet at the same time it is eminently approachable for the masses.



This roast behaved quite oddly. In retrospect I know that it was due to roasting on a day where we were having record heat and humidity. I think that the voltage at the outlet was lower than usual due to power company load, and things heated up in the roaster much slower than anticipated. Still, the coffee came out great.

On the first day, the aroma and taste were very nutty. I think hazelnut is the best descriptor. It is sweet, but with some interesting earthy tones. Several days later, it is a different coffee. If I was drinking this blind, I would almost think it is a dry processed Ethiopian coffee. The aroma is brown sugar and graham cracker, with some coconut lurking around. The taste is pure milk chocolate with a fruity background. The nuts have receded quite a bit.

Overall this is a really good coffee. I like the fact that it isn't too heavy, but it has a unique character true to the Chiapas region.

No comments: