Thursday, July 10, 2008

Panama Bambito Estate

Panama produces some great coffee, and some wickedly overpriced ones as well. The most famous coffee of all, Esmerelda Gesha, has gone for well over $100 a pound for the past few years. Yes it is very good, but not worth the price in my opinion.

Bambito Estate is one of those coffees I thought I was really going to like based on the description and the enthusiasm of the folks at Sweet Marias, but I really hate this stuff. Unfortunately I bought several pounds together with an order of other (excellent) Panama coffees last year, so I am stuck with it.

This one got a gentle roast, looking for a light Full City level:

And the taste in the cup? Well, lets see. The smell, I mean aroma, is fairly nondescript. Some flowers, spice, etc. The first thing that hits your mouth? Barbecue sauce. Yeah, you know - ketchupy, smoky, salty. This is followed by some unpleasant brothy notes, and eventually settles down into a sludgy aftertaste. Mmmm, I am really selling it now, aren't I?

I suppose I just may be mangling this coffee during roasting, or my skills are insufficient to bring out its true character, but I don't think so. Perhaps roasting it darker might help as well. In any case, I'll take a big ole' pass on Bambito next time around.

No comments: