Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley

In the last part of the Ethiopia No Holds Barred Cage Match, I told you that the winner would go up against a perennial favorite, Idido Misty Valley (IMV). Well, let me tell you, it was no contest whatsoever. The Sidamo took a brutal beating by IMV, leaving it bruised and bloody on the mat.

IMV is my favorite coffee, bar none. It has somewhat legendary status among coffee geeks. It comes from an area around Yrgacheffe that has a tradition of wet processed coffee, but the IMV is dry processed. It roasts like a dream - incredibly uniform for a coffee of this type. From the green seeds through the roast, through the cup, it is a powerhouse of fruity goodness. There is an interesting article here as well.

The 2006 crop I found to have strong notes of dried strawberries. The 2007 I am roasting now is blueberries all the way. At the same time, with the wild blueberry and over the top honeysuckle aromas, it is such a balanced cup. I smile whenever I drink it.

The roast profile was very similar to the Cage Match coffees, but I started at a lower temperature to make sure I didn't burn off any of the fruity goodness:



I extended the middle time by a minute since it had just barely reached the temperature set point by the time 10 minutes had passed. This is quite a light roast - just out of first crack and a little more. Even after 12 hours it is phenomenal. Intense floral aromas and berries, berries, berries. It is well integrated with some chocolate notes, and changes as the cup cools. It is a sweet, medium bodied cup. There is really nothing like it.

Just for chuckles, I roasted the last of the Harar from last time with a different profile to compare it to the disappointing performance of last week. I'll try it tomorrow and see what's what.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, really cool blog you have with all the roast-profiles for the rest of us to get inspired by.
I'm wondering about you biloya profiles, I hit 2nd crack way before your roast is even finished, using the same temperature-ramp that you have suggested.
I've roasted mine to just the first few snaps of 2nd crack and I get a strongly perfumed fruity smell and nice choccolaty flavour with a good body. However, i'd really like a fruitty taste also to match the smell. Any suggestions?

Scotto said...

Hi there, Rune. Thanks for stopping by. I presume you are roasting with a Gene Cafe?

My understanding is that there is variation from Gene to Gene, variance depending on your house voltage, and I am sure the temperature of the room you are roasting in makes a difference as well, especially early in the roast. You'll have to adapt a bit - feel free to drop me a note if you want more specifics.

With IMV, Biloya, and other dry-processed Ethiopians, you'll get the fruitiest tastes and least amount of roast interfering at very light roasts. Try stopping things after the last sound of first crack and see how that goes.

Unknown said...

Hi again Scotto,

the first time i tried roasting Idido, i was actually aiming at a city roast, but i must have missed the 1.crack, because all of a sudden i was seeing a lot of smoke and hearing the first pops of 2nd. crack. I see that you try to keep around 3 minutes between 1.st crack and your EndOfRoast, does that normally yield a city/city+ roast for you?
I almost always use my beans for SO. espresso, so i think I will try to aim for City+/FullCity roast levels and see what happens.

Scotto said...

On my Gene, there is generally 4-5 minutes between the very beginning of first crack and the onset of second. Depending on the bean, about 3 minutes is a City+ roast on my machine.

If you are roasting for espresso, a City roast of IMV or Biloya may be too intensely acidic, but give it a try - I actually like it this way as a change of pace.