Monday, June 23, 2008

Ethiopia Harar Horse, Lot 17406, Roast #2

No horses were harmed during the making of this coffee.... Just kidding - it is just the mark of the importer.

This coffee really annoys me. I love dry processed Ethiopian coffee, and this lot got a lot of praise. However, I find it boring at best. I originally tried it last week, and found it flat. Interestingly, the aroma of the beans themselves was more interesting than the brewed coffee.

Thinking another roast profile might be in order, I used this one:



As expected, this quick ramp robbed the coffee of some body, but accentuated the fruity notes and acidity. Overall it is better than last time, but still uninspiring. The ground coffee aromas are intense - fermented mango, tamarind, some coconut. Very intense. What winds up in the cup, however, is quite light. It kind of reminds me of one of those frou-frou summer fruit soups you might come across at a fancy restaurant. The flavors are mild, and integrated with some syrupy malt notes. Not bad, but not worth purchasing more of this coffee. We'll see if it gets any better during the week, and perhaps some espresso extraction is in order also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an idiot if you think harar horse is Boring I have met MAO in person and viewed his workers singing as they worked. opposed to depression in the rest of Ethiopian coffee world. Mohamad took his picture with me and his coffee on the whole is fantastic Any coffee has a off crop but I don't think you would know the difference Take care of your kids Mr. Mom

Scotto said...

Well, that's a thoughtful, intellectual comment from an anonymous poster....

I don't recall commenting on working conditions in Ethiopia or the moral character of the exporter, just that this coffee was not particularly good, which it simply is not.

It is a shame you can't disagree with someone without resorting to personal invective.